OUR STATEMENT OF FAITH
EMC STATEMENT OF FAITH
(This is the abridged version. See the unabridged version here.)
1. The Bible. We believe that the Bible is the inspired and infallible Word of God and that it gives authoritative direction for our faith and conduct (2 Timothy 3:16–17).
2. God. We believe in one eternal God who has revealed Himself as Father, Son and Spirit. The Scriptures teach us to pray to God as our Father, to trust in the son, Jesus Christ, as our Lord and Saviour, and to follow the leading of the Spirit who is with us. All persons in this trinity are fully and equally God (Matthew 6:9, 2 Peter 3:18, John 14:16).
3. Creation. We believe God created everything as revealed in Scripture (Genesis 1, 2).
4. The Dignity of the Human Race. We believe God created people in His own image and that all human life is sacred (Genesis 1:26–27).
5. The Fall of the Human Race. We believe our first parents chose disobedience and that the whole human race has followed them in their sin (Romans 3:23).
6. Satan. We believe Satan is a personal spirit being who opposes God and is the inspirer of all that is evil (Matthew 4:1-11).
7. Salvation. We believe that since Jesus Christ has atoned for all sin by His death, all people may now be saved by grace through their faith in Him (Ephesians 2:1–10).
8. Discipleship. We believe that a commitment to Christ means being willing to follow Him in a life of discipleship (1 Peter 2:13–14).
9. The Life of Peace. We believe that the teachings and example of Christ call us to a life of nonviolence and a ministry of peace in this world (Matthew 5).
10. The Church. We believe that all who trust in Jesus Christ are united with His body, the church, by the baptism of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13).
11. Ordinances. We believe Christ has given us two ordinances—water baptism and the Lord’s Supper—and that these should be observed by the church as symbolic reminders of spiritual truths (Matthew 28:18–20, 1 Corinthians 11:20–32).
12. The Resurrection. We believe Jesus Christ was raised from the dead and that all people will be raised as well, either to life or to condemnation (John 5:29).
13. The Return and Final Triumph of Christ. We believe in the personal return of Christ to gather His own, judge all people, defeat death, and triumph over all evil, so that God the Father may again be over all (1 Corinthians 15:20–28).
From the Statement of Faith (2017) of the Evangelical Mennonite Conference.